Who doesn’t love warm chocolate chip cookies straight out of the oven? This classic comfort baking item is a staple in most of our kitchens! But what if you could change it up just a little, and make your cookies a bit healthier and a bit sweeter at the same time? This is exactly what happens when you replace the processed sugar in your cookies with beautiful raw honey. Raw honey is incredibly healthy and includes enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. Our Alberta-made honey is pure, unpasteurized, and unfiltered, so you can be sure to get all these benefits when you eat it. You can feel good about baking it into anything that you feed your family!
For cookies, we recommend either our liquid honey or our creamed honey. The liquid honey is easy to measure out and has a beautiful golden colour. On the other hand, our creamed clover honey is light in colour, tastes divine, and is considered Alberta’s premium honey! It has a smooth and creamy texture (think peanut butter) and dissolves easily in any baking. The choice is yours!
Tips for baking with honey
Before we get started, just a little reminder that baking with honey is a bit different than baking with processed white sugar, and not just because of the health benefits! As we already mentioned, honey is actually sweeter than white sugar, so you need less of it. You also need to remember to reduce your oven temperature by about 25 degrees F, since honey browns much faster than sugar does. And once you pass the one cup of honey threshold, you need to make other adjustments too. To accommodate that amount of honey in your baking you need to decrease the liquid in your recipe by ¼ cup and add a teaspoon of baking soda.
If that sounds a bit daunting, not to worry! We have tailored this particular chocolate chunk cookie recipe to perfectly accommodate the honey factor, so you can just follow it as written. If you would like to try replacing the sugar with honey in other baking recipes, just remember three things:
- Use about 25% less honey than you would sugar for the same results (see our handy conversion chart!)
- Reduce suggested oven temperature by 25 degrees F
- 1 cup honey = ¼ less liquid plus 1 tsp baking soda
Now, let’s get to the recipe!
Chocolate Chunk Cookies Sweetened with Honey
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup Good Morning Honey (your choice of liquid or creamed clover)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine softened butter and honey and whip 1-2 minutes until lightened, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well
- In a small bowl, combine salt, baking soda and flour
- Add the flour mixture to the honey mixture and whip until just combined
- Gently fold in chocolate chunks with a wooden spoon
- Scoop out portions of cookie dough and roll into balls
- Place the balls on the prepared cookie sheets
- Flatten each ball just slightly with the back of a spoon
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes
Don’t these chocolate chunk cookies sound amazing? Such a quick and easy recipe for a delicious, healthy treat that is sure to satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth. Tag us @albertahoneybee with your finished cookie creations, we would love to see them!