There’s nothing nicer than a fresh hot batch of baking powder biscuits on a cold winter evening, is there? Warm and comforting, biscuits are the perfect complement for soups and stews. Even better, we have found a way for you to incorporate our delicious honey as a healthy sugar substitute in this classic baked good! Raw honey is incredibly healthy and includes enzymes, vitamins, and minerals. Our Alberta-made honey is pure, unpasteurized, and unfiltered, so you can be sure to get all these benefits when you eat it. You can feel good about baking it into anything that you feed your family!
You have a couple of choices when it comes to which Good Morning Honey product you want to use. Our liquid honey is easy to measure out and makes a delicious golden drizzle over your finished biscuits. On the other hand, our creamed clover honey is light in colour, tastes divine, and is considered Alberta’s premium honey! It has a smooth and creamy texture and dissolves easily in any baking. And if you decide to have a biscuit for dessert after your main meal, spreading some extra creamed honey on top of your honey biscuit is the ultimate sweet treat!
Tips for baking with honey
Before we get started, just a little reminder that baking with honey is a bit different than baking with processed white sugar, and not just because of the health benefits! Honey is actually sweeter than white sugar, so you need less of it. You also need to remember to reduce your oven temperature by about 25 degrees F, since honey browns much faster than sugar does. We have tailored this particular recipe to perfectly accommodate the honey factor, so if you are making it as-is you can just follow it as written.
However, if you are feeding a crowd and are making a giant batch of biscuits that requires you to use a large amount of honey, remember that once you pass the one-cup threshold you need to make adjustments. In this case, you would need to decrease the liquid in the recipe by ¼ cup and add a teaspoon of baking soda.
Now, let’s get baking!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tbsp cold butter, cubed or grated
- 4 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup cold milk, plus 1 tbsp for brushing
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp Good Morning Honey (liquid or creamed)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F
- In a bowl, mix the salt and baking powder into the flour
- Cut your butter into the flour mixture
- Add the ¾ cup of milk and the honey and blend until just combined. Try to avoid overworking the dough
- Turn the dough onto a floured board and knead it eight times
- Then, gently press the dough flat until it is 1 inch high
- Cut into rounds using a floured round cookie cutter
- Roll out the excess dough and cut out the remaining biscuits. Repeat until all the dough is used
- Place biscuits on a parchment-lined baking tray
- Brush the biscuits with the 1 tbsp of milk
- Bake them for 12-13 minutes
There you go! An easy recipe for delicious and healthy biscuits that are sure to satisfy. Tag us @albertahoneybee with your finished biscuit creations, we would love to see them!